Friday, April 17, 2009

Turtle Island...the art of peace making


Earth Day is almost here... to celebrate here's a terrific view in my backyard.
Dozens of sliders, the size of large dinner plates, can be seen on numerous turtle logs on any given sunny day...I can't get any closer or they all quickly flop down into the water.
I recall reading about Turtle being the oldest symbol for the planet in Native American stories.
I collect children's books and one of my favorites is an Abby Book of the Year award winner titled Old Turtle . It's by Douglas Wood with wonderful watercolors by Cheng-Khee Chee that shares a fable about how Old Turtle brings an awareness of peace to all the animals and people of the world. What a great idea. Peace to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping '-)